How you look often plays a big role in determining how you feel about yourself. If you deal with a crooked, crowded, or misaligned smile, it can often hamper the type of success you want on a personal and professional level. For kids, wearing metal braces can further contribute to feeling stressed out and uncomfortable when in school, especially when starting a new grade. Fortunately, at Dr. Carr Orthodontics, we offer our patients a variety of options when selecting the right orthodontic treatment for them, including such revolutionary advances as Damon braces.
What are Damon Braces?
Damon braces use a self-ligating process to reposition a patient’s teeth. While Damon braces are fitted in a way that’s similar to metal braces, they use a slide mechanism that attaches wires to brackets in a way that naturally move with a patient’s teeth as they realign. Rather than needing to have their braces regularly tightened and adjusted, patients with Damon braces receive the same healthy and attractive smile in less time and with less discomfort.
Damon braces utilize a different technique to straighten a patient’s smile. Damon braces are attached to a memory wire that connects slide brackets without the pressure typically associated with traditional metal braces. Dr. Carr then sets the braces to gradually move a patient’s teeth over time. This process requires the use of less force when compared to traditional braces.
What are the Advantages of Damon Braces?
Compared to traditional metal braces, Damon braces offer a number of advantages that include:
- Improved appearance. Unlike traditional braces that use metal brackets, Damon braces are clear, making them more aesthetically pleasing.
- Faster treatment time. A recent study found that Damon braces patients finished their treatment an average of 7.2 months faster when compared to orthodontic patients wearing traditional metal braces.
- Fewer office visits. The study also found that patients only needed to make roughly half as many appointments for routine adjustments and tightening when compared to patients with metal braces.
- Less discomfort. Damon braces rely less on force to help reposition a patient’s teeth. This creates less pull, pressure, and discomfort for patients, who reported experiencing 60 percent less discomfort when compared to metal braces.
- Easier to clean. Keeping up with your oral hygiene is incredibly important for patients wearing braces. With fewer spaces for food debris and bacteria to accumulate, Damon braces are easier to keep clean compared to metal braces.
Are There Any Disadvantages?
While Damon braces offer a less discreet option when compared to traditional metal braces, they are not entirely invisible. Patients who want to undergo their orthodontic treatment without anyone noticing should consider Invisalign, which uses a clear plastic aligner to straighten a patient’s smile. However, not every patient is a candidate for Invisalign. During your orthodontic consultation, Dr. Carr will be able to fully explain which types of orthodontic treatment can best meet your individual oral health needs.
If you’re looking for an orthodontic treatment option that will provide you with the stunningly straight, healthy looking smile you’ve been wanting in less time and with less discomfort, then Damon braces may be right for you.
To schedule your Damon braces consultation, contact Dr. Carr Orthodontics today!